7.01.2008

Why Does AD/HD Medication Get Such a Bad Rap?

I am in no way shape or form a medical expert or related to the medical field in any way. The messages in this blog posting are purely my opinions. Please consult a medical professional for advice.

I have been taking medication for Adult ADD for six years. I have never sold it, I have never lost any weight while taking it, and I’ve never seemed “over medicated”. These are some of the negative connotations AD/HD medications get and it bugs me every time I see a news story on what terrible things these medications are doing to people. I’m not saying that bad things don’t happen, however, it would be great to hear a story about how these medications have transformed someone’s life in a positive way as opposed to ruining it.

So, here are some thoughts I have about AD/HD medications’ “bad rap”.

- It starts with a proper diagnosis – when I was diagnosed it fit perfectly into my life. It answered a lot of the questions I had asked myself throughout the years. However, if it hadn’t been that way, I would have sought a second opinion. No medication is going to work if it’s treating something that isn’t there, so if AD/HD doesn’t seem to quite be there, a second opinion is definitely and is always an option.

- Medication interaction – before ever putting one pill into my mouth I looked up the new medication’s information on the FDA’s website. They have medication information sheets that lay out, plain and simple, what drug interactions occur as well as any health conditions that should prevent someone from taking a medication. I really like the site because it’s incredibly user friendly and the information is in layman’s terms so everyone can understand the warnings.

- Side effects – just as with any medication (for example, birth control pills) there are possible side effects. This is where the weight loss issue associated with AD/HD medications comes in, I think. From my experience both with AD/HD meds and birth control pills, within three months, the side effects were gone. So, I say, give it three months! If the effects haven’t worn off by that point, then it’s time to talk to a doctor.

-Alternatives to Medication – Adderall and Ritalin are not the only ways to treat AD/HD. Some other treatments include a multitude of therapy options, social skills training, diets and supplements and some experimental treatments. Also, there are more than just two medications out there to treat AD/HD. The best way to go, according to most articles and books I’ve read, is taking a medication in conjunction with therapy. It's a great combo.

- College kids selling Adderall to help friends study – Well this is just stupid. It is the abuse of these medications that will be harmful. So, really, this comes down to being responsible and accountable for a potentially harmful drug in one's possession.


What do you guys think? Do AD/HD medications get a bad rap? Do you know anyone that’s had a TERRIFIC experience with Adderall or Ritalin?


“Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels.” – Frank Sinatra
So may the prayers, tranquilizers and JD be with you and see you next time.

No comments: