6.24.2008

Review of “Get Smart”

I was reading other reviews of the movie and there is some negative feedback regarding leading man Steve Carell. Some of the buzz is that Carell’s Maxwell Smart is too similar to “The 40 Year Old Virgin” type characters and not enough of the original Maxwell Smart. I say, rather I yell “THIS IS A MODERN ADAPTATION!” And if Carell had tried to immitate Don Adam’s Smart, there would be complaints about that too. Honestly, casting Carell was the best thing they could do for this movie. I wanted to see it the instant I saw the first trailer with Maxwell Smart stuck in a phone booth.

Pros: What I liked about the film:
- Steve Carell is funny, but so is Anne Hathaway, Dwayne Johnson, Alan Arkin, Terry Crews, David Koechner, James Caan, Bill Murray, Patrick Warburton, Masi Oka, Nate Torrence (breath) ok did I leave any one out? It’s funny. Although about 45% of the funniest moments are seen in the trailers (I hate that) there are still numerous laugh out loud moments from the entire cast.
- It’s a feel good movie. Happy endings, romance, eye candy, explosions, the good guys win – end of story.
- There’s enough action to keep it interesting.
- The scenery is great!

Cons: What I didn’t like about the film:
- The romance between Hathaway and Carell is a bit of a stretch. There is even an added line regarding Hathaway’s Agent 99’s real age and that she recently had surgery to change her identity and to “take a few years off.”
- I wish the trailers had shown less of the funny parts. This is a really big pet peeve of mine and I don’t laugh when these moments occur in the movie because you can see it coming.

Unique Qualities
- I really like the cast. It’s a great mixture of some of the industry’s best talent and best upcoming talent.
- IT DOESN’T IMITATE THE TV SHOW! It’s modern! (gasp) How dare they?!

In about 2 weeks you will probably forget you’ve seen this movie, and you may not have much to tell people when they ask you “How was it?”, but you certainly won’t hate it and it’s better than half the other crap that’s in theaters right now (cough – Chronicles of Narnia, cough – Made of Honor). So, laugh and enjoy and take it for what it is.

“Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels.” – Frank Sinatra

So may the prayers, tranquilizers and JD be with you and see you next time.
http://moviesworketc.blogspot.com/

No comments: