6.07.2008

Is It a Cliché...

Is it cliché to write your first blog about yourself as an introduction? Then I say “Oh well” because that’s exactly what I’m going to do. My name is Diana and I live in Virginia. I’m 25 and was born and raised here. It’s a great place most of the time. There’s a lot of shopping. You are always 20 minutes or less away from the movies, theater, great restaurants and bars and let’s not forget the beach. I had never even heard of “Beach Week” until I went to college where I was promptly asked “Well if you don’t have beach week, when do you get to go to the beach?” I replied puzzled “After school?!” It’s true. It’s just that close. And I recently moved a little closer to it. I moved out of my childhood home and into a great townhouse with a coworker from Long Island. Yes, I was a little behind in the "moving out" phase of my life, but, hey, stuff is expensive and this was the first relocating opportunity I could afford.

So, what’s the point of my blog “Movies, Work and Random Thoughts” you may be asking. Well, I love movies, I love my job and I have ADD. I can’t think of better topics to write about than those.

I’ll start with my intensions regarding the “Movie” portion of this blog. I love films or “talkies” as they were referred to in the olden days, and so I’ll write reviews about the actual movies themselves as well as issues regarding movies and the film industry. However, do not expect any gossip here folks, there are plenty of other blogs about that topic. And let’s face it, I live in Virginia, not a lot of gossip heads our way unless it’s on People.com or the Today Show. Another question you may be asking yourself is what kind of credibility do I have regarding movies? Theater was my minor in college, so I know a little about acting and the production aspects. I’ve also taken commercial production courses. I am in the process of reading a few books about the film industry and other than going to the movie theater and watching DVDs as often as possible, I have no other expertise. Having none of that though, I think, represents the majority of the American audience, so hopefully I bring something a little less “analytic” to the table then say Ebert and Roeper (who do an excellent job at reviewing movies and I have a “Seasons Pass” programmed on my TiVo for their show).

In regards to the “Work” aspect of my blog, well let me tell you a quick story first. Recently, I went on my first business trip. I traveled with my boss’s boss, so in preparation for that I went on the Internet looking for etiquette advice and found zip!!! So, that’s what this portion will be about. Please feel free to ask questions and then we can get a dialog going about different aspects of the work place. As for what I do for work, well I work in a field called Search Engine Optimization. I love it; it’s really fun, but I will not be discussing SEO/SEM as much as general topics. I’ll leave the SEO talk to the experts like Bruce Clay and Matt Cutts.

And the random thoughts portion of this program is brought to you by Diana’s ADD, bringing out of the blue ideas and statements to those around her. I have ADD. Well, there’s more to it then that, but I’ll let you read those blogs to find out more. So, stay tuned.

Now, I think I need a great sign off to post at the end of every blog. So, I need a minute to think.
After searching Google for the past 10 minutes I found a great quote from the one person whose biography I’ve actually read cover to cover.
“Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels.” – Frank Sinatra

So may the prayers, tranquilizers and JD be with you and see you next time.

No comments: