8.04.2009

Book Review – Finger Lickin’ Fifteen by Janet Evanovich


Let me start my review by saying I L-O-V-E the Stephanie Plum Novels (and yes, there are 15 + of them)! They are great beach reads and are perfect if you want to sit back and relax with a funny and unique fiction novel. “Finger” is about stumbled-into-it, bounty hunter Stephanie Plum vs Barbecue Sauce vs Red Paint vs Headless Chefs and a lot more (as usual), but this time the main story revolves around Steph’s side kick Lula. She witnesses a terrible crime and the “head hunters” attempt to get rid of their only witness. “Finger” isn’t my favorite of the series, but don’t let that deter you from picking it up. It’s a little pokey in places, but fun, flirty and full of shenanigans.

Pros:
- As a Whole – This series as a whole is laugh out loud enjoyable. By the 15th book I’ve become quite attached to Stephanie, Lula, Grandma, Mom and of course Ranger and Joe, so another book with my favorite people instantly makes me smile. “Finger” encompasses some of the best traits of the series – cars blowing up, doughnuts, stupid criminals, viewings and the rest. Also, the main story is wrapped around Lula’s tight spandex, which makes “Finger” a refreshing addition to the Plum series.

- The Plot – I enjoy the fact that Ranger needs Stephanie this time around. Yes he bails her out of a couple of sticky situations (pun intended), but when his security company is in trouble he turns the resourceful and oh so cute Stephanie to help solve the mystery.

- “I’m a mess” – Stephanie confesses to Ranger, “I’m a mess.” I like this statement because, Stephanie, I know exactly how you feel – haha.

Cons:
- Lack Luster Love – One of my favorite aspects of this series is the love triangle between Stephanie and her two guys Morelli and Ranger but in “Finger” she swears off guys! This is disappointing. We only get a few exchanges with Ranger and they do technically end up in bed together but only for rotating sleeping shifts. I miss the usual sexual chemistry.

- Plot Twist – Not Really – spoiler alert - The story with Ranger’s security company being jeopardized by break-ins, which are suspected to be an inside job turns out to be … some random kids who stole Rangeman clothes – boooooring! I wish it were an inside job. That would spice things up emotionally for Ranger (whom we never get any emotion from!).

Summary:
Again, “Finger Lickin’ Fifteen” is not the greatest Plum novel, but not worthless either. It’s an easy read that will make you laugh out loud. I enjoyed the next episode in the Stephanie Plum series (and had me craving barbecue – just not Lula’s!).

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels.” – Frank Sinatra
So may the prayers, tranquilizers and JD be with you and see you next time.
http://moviesworketc.blogspot.com/

No comments: